Semiya kesari recipe:
Semiya kesari is made with an addition of food color/saffron, but made without using milk. Semiya kesari can be made quickly within span of 15 minutes. Semiya kesari is mostly prepared during navaratri. Semiya kesari is a quick process and easy to make and there is no fear of lump formation.
In this recipe I have used less sugar, so the kesari will subtly sweet; you can increase the quantity of sugar by another ¼ cup more a sweeter semiya kesari. Also here I have used food color, instead of food color you can add little saffron.
• Semiya vermicelli -1 cup
• Sugar – 1 cup
• Nuts and Raisins as desired
• Red Food Color – 1 pinch
• Water – 2 ½ cups
• Ghee – 5 tablespoons
• Cardamom powder- 1 tablespoon
• Cashew Nuts – 10 to 15
1. Heat a heavy bottom pot or pan with ghee.
2. Add nuts and Raisins as desired and fry them evenly under low flame till comes to brown color. Keep these fried nuts and raisins aside in a plate.
3. Add vermicelli into the same pan and roast them evenly until it turns into lite golden color on medium flame.
4. If using roasted vermicelli then skip this step.
5. Now add water (2 cups) and increase the flame, mix it well till the semiya is fully cooked.
6. If needed you can sprinkle some water.
7. In the meantime, take a bowl and add food color and mix it with some water.
8. Close the pan with a plate, reduce the flame to low and cook till all the moisture is almost absorbed.
9. The vermicelli should be cooked soft and there should be little moisture left when you add the sugar.
10. Only then the texture of the final product will be good.
11. Now add sugar, cardamom powder (1 tablespoon) and food color (2 teaspoons).
12. The semiya will become little loose. Continue to cook without lid till it thickens again.
13. Finally add little bit ghee and roasted nuts. Mix it once until the kesari starts leaving the sides of pan and becomes glossy.
14. Now switch off the stove. Transfer to a blow or plate.
Super easy and tasty semiya kesari is ready!
Semiya kesari will be a tasty desert course.
It can also served as a sweet snack in the evening along with some savory snack.
• The quantity of water to use depends on the kind of semiya.
• If you are using thinner variety, then reduce the water quantity.
• If the water is not sufficient to cook, you can sprinkle some more water and cook further.
Sodium – 4.38mg
Potassium – 2.5mg
Sugars – 28.01g
Dietary Fiber – 1.4g
Iron – 0.7mg
Calcium – 31.6mg