How To MakeThaen Mittai
Thaen Mittai is also called as thene mittai or sugar candy, it also called as Andhra Rasagulla in some areas of Telugu States. Usually, most of the sweets are prepared with Maida like Kaja, Jhangri but here in this sweet recipe Urad dal and rice are the main ingredients, so it is healthy and hygienic food. Here in this recipe food color is added to the urad dal batter but it is better to avoid the food color and it is not good for health and one more thing this is instead of sugar you can also use sugar powder to coat the thaen mittai balls.
• Urad dal – ¼ cup
• Rice – 1 cup
• Sugar – 1 ½ cup
• Baking powder – ¼ teaspoon
• Cardamom powder – ¼ teaspoon
• Lemon – ½ piece (juice extracted without seeds)
• Oil for deep fry
• In a mixing bowl add a cup of urad dal and rice and soak in water for 2 hours.
• Drain the urad dal and grind it to a thick smooth paste.
• Now switch on the stove and heat a wide bottomed vessel.
• Then add a cup of sugar into the vessel and then ¼ cup of water.
• Mix it once and allow it to boil on low flame.
• Boil them till it reaches one string consistency.
• Then add a tablespoon of lemon juice and cardamom powder into the sugar syrup and mix it once and switch off the stove.
• Now take another pan and heat it.
• Then pour enough oil for deep and heat it.
• Now add ¼ teaspoon of baking soda into the ground urad dal paste and mix it once.
• Then add ¼ teaspoon of red food color and mix it once.
• Addition of food color is optional.
• Now dip your fingers in some water and take small portions of the batter and drop it slowly into the hot oil.
• Fry them till crispy on both sides under medium flame.
• Now scoop them with a drainer and dip them into the sugar syrup and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
• Repeat the same process with rest of the batter is done.
• Now take a plate and pour ½ cup of sugar into it and now coat the balls with sugar crystals which are already soaked in sugar syrup and place them on a plate.
• Finally, transfer all the sugar crystal balls into a serving plate.
Tasty and delicious Thaen Mittai is ready
• Store them in an airtight container for 2- 3 days.
• The batter should be thick so don’t add too much of water while grinding.
• Total carbs – 6g
• Sugars – 6g