Bengal Gram Flour Janthikalu
Murukulu or janthikalu is a south Indian deep fried snack made with rice flour and gram flour. Janthikalu is a classic traditional savory snack. No auspicious occasion, picnic or a family get together is ever complete without this crunchy treats. You can make this janthikalu with urad dal flour also. The deep frying needs to be done on medium flame in order to achieve crispness.
• Rice flour – ½ kg
• Gram flour – 1 cup
• Butter – 3 tablespoons
• Sesame seeds – 2 tablespoons
• Salt as per taste
• Oil for deep fry
• Green chilies – 5
• Ajowan – ½ teaspoon
• In a blender add 5 green chilies and grind to a coarse paste and keep it aside in a bowl.
• In a large mixing bowl add ½ kg rice flour, 1 cup of gram flour and salt as per taste.
• Mix it well and now add 3 tablespoons of butter into it and combine them.
• Add 1 tablespoon of ajowan, 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds and coarse paste of green chilies.
• Slowly add water little by little to make soft dough as chapatti dough.
• Just soft enough that it is pressed through easily with the janthikalu press.
• Heat a wide heavy bottomed vessel or pan with enough oil for deep frying.
• Now take the janthikalu gottam or murukku press or mould and use the disc with three holes.
• Fill the mould or gottam with the dough.
• Press the mould to make spirals either on a cloth, paper, foil or flat holed ladle.
• Once the oil is hot, adjust the flame to medium high.
• Slowly peel the shapped janthikalu off the paper and slide into the hot oil.
• You will find the oil froth up in bubbles which will eventually subside as the janthikalu turn to lite brown shade.
• When the janthikalu turn to brown color, turn over to the other side and let it also cook to lite brown color.
• Use a slotted ladle to remove the janthikalu and place them on a vessel in order to drain the excess oil.
• Repeat the same process till the rest of the dough is done.
• Transfer them to a serving plate.
Tasty and crispy janthikalu are ready now
Cool completely before storing in an air tight metallic container.
• They have to be fried on medium high flame.
• Make sure you do not fry them on low flame.
• Total fat – 6g
• Sodium – 199mg
• Total carbs – 20g
• Dietary fiber – 1g
• Protein – 2g