How to Make Dhaba Style Mutton Curry
Dhaba mutton is very popular in north India. It is very spicy and is cooked with coriander powder, cumin powder along with black pepper etc, you need to choose tender, young and fresh meat which is the key to the juicy and non-fibrous mouth melting chunks. Served as a main course with plain rice, chapatti etc.,
• Mutton – 600g
• Onions – 3(medium size and chopped)
• Green chilies – 4(sliced)
• Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 ½ tablespoon
• Tomatoes – 3(medium size and grind to a fine paste)
• Red chili – 2 tablespoons
• Black pepper powder – ½ teaspoon
• Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
• Cumin powder – ½ teaspoon
• Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
• Oil – 6 tablespoons
• Coriander leaves – small bunch(finely chopped)
• Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
• Cinnamon – 2 small pieces
• Cloves – 4
• Black pepper – ¼ teaspoon
• Bay leaves – 2
• Cardamom – 4
• Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
• Salt as per taste
• Curd – 3 tablespoons
1. In a mixing bowl add 600g of mutton pieces, salt as per taste, ginger- garlic paste, 3 tablespoons of curd and red chili powder.
2. Mix all the ingredients with your hands and keep it aside for about 30minutes by covering the bowl.
3. Add 5 tablespoons of oil in a pan and heat it.
4. Add ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves and 2 bay leaves.
5. Fry all the masala spices and sauté for few seconds.
6. Now add chopped onions, sliced green chilies and mix all together and cover the pan under low flame for 5 minutes.
7. Fry the onions until brown in color.
8. Now it’s time to add marinated mutton pieces into the fried onions and mix it well.
9. Cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes under medium flame.
10. Cook it till the mutton is cooked and tender.
11. Once it is done add tomato puree or paste and mix it properly so that the mutton pieces can absorb the tomato paste.
12. Cover and cook the mutton under medium flame.
13. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
14. Then see the water in the mutton oozes out.
15. Cook it for 10 minutes till the water gets evaporated and mutton gets cooked as per you’re wish /liking.
16. Then add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of red chili powder and mix it well and then cover the pan for 2 minutes.
17. After the water content gets evaporated from the mutton pieces, add 2 glasses of water and allow it to cook for 10minutes on medium flame.
18. Cook until the meat becomes soft. Feel free to use pressure cooker if necessary.
19. Then add 1 tablespoon of coriander powder, ½ teaspoon of cumin powder, ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder.
20. Cover and cook under medium flame for 10 minutes.
21. When the mutton is almost done, add 1 teaspoon of Garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves and stir it well so that the mutton pieces can absorb the coriander flavor and masala flavor.
22. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until oil separates from the meat.
23. Now turn off the flame.
24. Transfer the mutton curry to a serving bowl.
25. Garnish with coriander leaves and onion rings.
Dhaba style mutton curry is ready…
Serve this curry hot with plain rice or chapattis etc,
1. Total fat – 17g
2. Sodium – 182mg
3. Total carbs – 20g
4. Protein – 13g