How to Make Restaurant style mutton curry
Mutton curry is one of the most popular INDIAN dishes. Mutton curry can be prepared on special occasions, made with goat meat and spices like garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder etc.., You need to choose tender, young and fresh meat which is the key to juicy and non-fibrous mouth melting chunks. Served as a main course with plain rice, chapatti etc,
• Mutton – 500g (cleaned and washed)
• Onions – 3 (medium size, chopped)
• Green chilies – 3 (sliced)
• Tomatoes – 3(medium size, chopped into cubes)
• Red chili powder – 2 tablespoons
• Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
• Salt as per taste
• Ginger – Garlic paste – 2 tablespoons
• Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
• Cumin powder – ½ teaspoon
• Garam masala powder – ½ teaspoon
• Curd – 3 tablespoons
• Oil – 6 tablespoons
• Lemon – ½ piece(extract the juice without the seeds)
• Coriander leaves – small bunch(washed and finely chopped)
• Cloves – 4
• Cinnamon – 2 small pieces
• Bay leaves – 2
• Cardamom – 4
• Poppy seeds – 1 tablespoon
• Musk melon seeds – 1 teaspoon
• Red chilies – 3
• Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
1. Soak musk melon seeds (1 tablespoon) and poppy seeds (1 tablespoon) in water for 2 hours.
2. Now marinate mutton with red chili powder (2 tablespoons), turmeric powder (¼ teaspoon), salt as per taste, coriander powder (1 tablespoon), cumin powder (½ teaspoon), ginger – garlic paste, lemon juice and finally add butter milk to the mutton.
3. Mix all the ingredients properly with your hands.
4. Marinate mutton for at least 2 hours, so that mutton will absorb all the spices.
5. You can add extra red chili powder to increase the spiciness and it’s optional.
6. Heat oil in a pan; add 4 cloves, 4 green cardamom, 2 cinnamon, 2 bay leaves and 3 red chilies and sauté for a minute.
7. Now add ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, and sliced onions, sliced green chilies and add salt as per taste this increases the cooking process of onions.
8. Cover the pan and sauté for 5 minutes under medium flame.
9. After 5 minutes, stir it well and again close the pan with the lid.
10. Now add cube shape chopped tomatoes and cook it until tomatoes gets soft.
11. Then cover the lid of the pan for two minutes.
12. Instead of chopped tomatoes you can also use tomato puree.
13. Now it’s time to add marinated mutton pieces and sauté for 2 minutes.
14. Then close the pan and cook for 5 minutes on high flame
15. Then see the water in the mutton oozes out.
16. Cover and cook the mutton for 10 more minutes on medium flame until mutton gets soft and water gets evaporated.
17. Cooking the mutton in a pan directly is enough for the thin mutton pieces or else you can use pressure cooker to cook the mutton.
18. Cook the mutton until mutton gets soft.
19. Now add 2 glasses of water and bring to boil.
20. In the meanwhile, add soaked poppy seeds and musk melon seeds into a blender and grind to a fine paste.
21. You can use cashew nuts instead of musk melon seeds.
22. When the mutton is almost done, add grinded paste of poppy seeds and musk melon seeds and mix it properly.
23. Then cook on medium flame for about 2 minutes, till most of the water is absorbed.
24. In the final step add ½ teaspoon Garam masala powder and mix it well.
25. Sprinkle some coriander leaves, stir it well so that the mutton pieces can absorb the coriander flavor and then close the pan.
26. Sauté well until the oil separates from the meat.
27. Now turn off the flame.
28. Transfer the mutton curry to a serving bowl.
29 Garnish with coriander leaves and onion rings.
Yummy and Spicy mutton curry is ready to serve hot
Serve with roti/ plain rice/ chapatti etc,
1.Total fat – 17g
2.Sodium – 182mg
3.Total carbs – 20g
4.Protein – 13g