How to Make Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani is a classic dish and eye-catching aromatic rice loved by all. It is a Dum method and it is called so as the chicken is marinated for about 30 minutes and half cooked rice is placed inside the cooking pot and is tightly sealed with chapatti dough and cooked by not letting the steam come out. By doing so the biryani gets cooked well and also keeps the flavors intact and therefore, it’s called as ‘Dum Cooking’.
• Chicken – 300g
• Basmati Rice – ¼ kg
• Mace – ¼ teaspoon
• Cinnamon – 4
• Cloves – 8
• Cardamom – 5
• Marathi bud – 8
• Bay leaves – 3
• Star Anise – 2 tablespoon
• Salt to taste
• Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
• Biryani Masala – 1 tablespoon
• Red Chili powder – 1 tablespoon
• Onions – 4 (sliced)
• Green chilies – 4(sliced)
• Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
• Garam Masala powder – 1 tablespoon
• Cardamom Powder – 1 tablespoon
• Coriander leaves for garnish
• Mint leaves
• Lemon – 1(extract the juice without seeds)
• Yogurt – ½ cup
• Oil – 3 tablespoons
a. Firstly wash the chicken pieces well.
b. Add salt, turmeric powder(¼ teaspoon), red chili powder(1 tablespoon), Garam masala powder(1 tablespoon), biryani masala powder (1 tablespoon), ginger-garlic paste(1 table spoon), a pinch of cardamom powder, a bunch of coriander leaves, a bunch of mint leaves and yogurt(½ cup) to the chicken.
c. Mix the whole mixture well with free hands.
d. To this mixture add lemon juice extracted without seeds.
e. And mix it well.
f. Marinate for 30 minutes.
Procedure to Cook Rice:
• Firstly, wash the basmati rice and soak it for about 30 minutes.
• Take a cooking pan; add oil (3 tablespoons).
• Add onions and deep fry them till brown in oil by closing the pan on low flame.
• When they turn brown, set aside ¼ parts of these fried onions.
• Now switch off the stove and transfer the fried onions to another plate.
• Take a cooking pot, add water generously into it.
• Into the water, add salt as per taste, cinnamon stick, cloves, shah jeera, cardamoms, Marathi bud, Star Anise.
• Bring water to boil.
• When the water starts boiling, add the soaked rice into it.
• Cook the rice for about 6-7 minutes until it is three fourth done.
• Strain the rice completely and rest the strained rice aside.
• In a separate heavy – bottomed pot or a baking dish transfer the marinade chicken.
• In this add fried brown onions, mint leaves, coriander leaves and sliced green chilies and also add remaining masala species (Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom, Marathi bud, Bay leaves, Star Anise including bay leaves) , cardamom powder(1 tablespoon) which gives a nice flavor to the biryani.
• Finally add ghee (4 table spoons) instead of oil which gives a good taste. Mix it well.
• Spread this mixture evenly.
• Add the rice which has been cooked into it.
• Spread the rice evenly all over the marinated chicken.
• Season the rice with coriander leaves, mint leaves, a pinch of cardamom powder and fried onions.
• Now spread the remaining rice as another layer and season the rice with remaining coriander and mint leaves along with fried onions and cardamom powder (1/4 tablespoons).
• Add ghee (4 table spoons) on it.
• Add little water all over the rice.
• Make chapatti/Maida dough and cover the pan with thick chapatti dough and then place the lid.
• Switch on the stove; put the cooking pot onto the stove.
• Cook this biryani in high flame for 30 minutes and after that cook over low flame for 5 minutes till the rice is fully cooked.
• Switch off the stove.
• Mix the rice and chicken.
Now the tasty and spicy Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is ready. Serve Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani with raita or shorva. Also serve it with lemon slices and raw onion rings.
1. Do not cook the rice for a long time as the rice becomes soggy while giving Dum.
2. Another way of giving Dum is, cooking pot should be placed on a girdle and Dum for about 30 minutes.
3. Placing a girdle below the cooking vessel prevents the base of the cooking vessel from burning.
Dietary fiber – 4g
Sugars – 9g
Protein – 51g
Vitamin A – 10%
Vitamin C – 29%
Calcium – 32%
Iron – 26%