How to Konkani Chicken Masala Recipe
- Chicken – 1/2 kg
- Onions – 2 medium size (finely chopped small pieces)
- Coconut – ½ piece
- Oil – 4 table spoon
- Green chilli -2
- Chilli powder -1 ½ table spoon
- Salt – to taste
- Star Anise – 1
- Black Pepper corns – ¼ tea spoon
- Cinnamon – inch piece
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tea spoon
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Bay leaves -2
- Garlic cloves -6 (cut into small pieces)
- Ginger – 2 inch piece (cut into small pieces)
- Onion -1 (cut into straight slices. This onion slices is used in masala preparation)
- Turmeric – ¼ tea spoon
- Garam Masala powder – ½ table spoon
- Coriander leaves – small bunch ( clean coriander leaves and chop into small pieces)
Preparation Method of Konkani Chicken Curry
To prepare Konkani chicken curry first you need to prepare Konkani masala.
Preparation of Konkani Masala:
Step 1: Now put a pan on stove and switch on the stove.
Add Masala Spices into the pan one by one. Star anise, black pepper, Cinnamon, Fenugreek seeds, Black Cardamom.
Fry masala spices on a low flame by mixing well with a spoon till the fenugreek seeds get golden colour and good smell of all spices.
Switch off the stove and take the spices into a plate and leave it to cool.
To make Konkani chicken curry you can use either fresh coconut or dry coconut.
Here we are using fresh coconut. If fresh coconut it not available you can use dry coconut.
Separate the coconut from the shell with the help of a knife and grate it with a scraper. You can also you a coconut core to grate it.
Now again keep a pan on stove, switch on the stove. Once the pan get heated add the grated coconut into the pan and fry it on a low flame by mixing well.
You need to fry the coconut mixture till the moisture get evaporated.
Fry the coconut by continuously string to cook it evenly, avoid coconut mixture from over cooking or burning.
Fry it till you get golden brown colour.
Switch of the stove and take the fried coconut into a plate.
Put the same pan once again on stove and switch on the flame.
Once the pan get heated add 1 table spoon oil.
Once oil get heated add sliced onions and mix it will so the onions get dip in oil.
Now add garlic, ginger and stir it well till the oil cover the ingredients.
After string adjust flame to low and put a lid on it and leave it for 5 minutes to cook.
After 5 minutes remove the lid and stir onions once again. Once the onions get golden brown colour transfer into a plate.
Take a mixer jar add fried spices and blend it till you get fine powder.
Once you get fine powder add fried coconut and blend it once again till you get a fine powder.
Now add fried onions to this fine powder and blend it into a paste. While blending add water to get a fine paste like consistency.
Do not add water at once, add little amount whenever required and grind into a thick paste.
Take this fine paste into a bowl, this paste is Konkani masala. You will use this in preparation of curry.
Preparation of curry:
- Take a pan, put in on stove and switch on the flame. You can use same pan in which you fried onions.
- Once the pan get heated add 3 table spoons of oil.
- Once oil get heated, add finely chopped onions ( 2 medium size), green chilli and mix it well.
- If necessary put the flame to low.
- Add ¼ tea spoon salt and mix it well.
- Salt helps onions to cook quickly.
- Once you mix this well, place a lid on the pan and leave it for 5 minutes to cook.
- After 5 minutes remove the lid and mix onions once again.
- Put bay leaves into onions and mix well once again, put the lid back and cook for more 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and you will see that the onions are fried into golden brown colour .
- Now add cleaned chicken into the pan and mix it well till the onions and chicken get mixed well.
- Now place a lid on pan and adjust the flame to high and cook it for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes remove the lid on pan and mix chicken well, add salt as per chicken quantity, mix till the salt get mixed with chicken.
- Put the lid back and adjust flame to low and leave it for 5 minutes to cook.
- After 5 minutes remove the lid you will see water is releasing from chicken. Mix the chicken well once again.
- Continuous mixing helps chicken to cook evenly, cook chicken till water get evaporated and till it get soft.
- Once again put lid on pan and cook it for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and mix the chicken well.
- Once you see chicken get softly cooked add 1 table spoon chilli powder and mix it well.
- Now adjust flame to medium, put lid on pan and leave it for 2 minutes to cook.
- After 2 minutes stir chicken once again and water to cook the chicken.
- 1 ½ glass water will be sufficient to cook this much quantity of chicken. If you take less or more quantity add water accordingly.
- Mix chicken well and place a lid. Adjust flame to high and cook it for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes remove the lid and you will see curry will be boiling, now add Konkani masala to the curry and stir it well till it get mixes with curry well.
- Once you add masala to curry you will see that the consistency will be little thick.
- Once this masala get mixed well put lid on pan, adjust flame to medium and cook it for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes remove the lid and stir it well. String the curry on regular basis helps it to cook evenly.
- Now in this curry add remaining ½ table spoon chilli powder to get the colour back to curry as you add masala the colour of the curry changes.
- After adding chilli powder mix it well and place the lid, cook it for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- After 5 minutes remove the lid and stir the curry once again, taste the curry and check if salt is sufficient or not.
- If necessary according to your taste you can add salt. As you have added salt in onions and chicken carefully check and add it.
- Once again mix the curry well after adding salt and cook it for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes when you remove the lid you will see the curry gets a little thick consistency.
- Now add ½ table spoon garam masala and Coriander leaves to curry and mix it well.
- Cook curry on a high flame by placing lid for 1 minute. Curry will get the flavour of coriander now.
- When you remove the lid you see the oil will be releasing from curry and the gravy gets thick.
- Mix the curry well once again and switch of the flame.
- Now the tasty Konkani chicken masala curry is ready to taste.
- Take the curry into a serving bowl and garnish with coriander.