How to Make Pappu Palakura (Dall Spinach) Recipe
• Toor dal – 1 Cup ( Clean dal and through the water, again pour water until dal get dipped and soak it for 15 minutes).
• Spinach -2 bunches (cleaned and finely chopped)
• Coriander leaves – 1 bunch( finely chopped)
• Curry leaves – 10 leaves
• Green Chilli – 6 (cut into two slices)
• Onion – 1( chopped into small pieces)
• Salt –to taste
• Turmeric powder – pinch
• Chilli powder -1 table spoon
• Urad dal – 1 table spoon
• Mustard seeds – 1 table spoon
• Bengal gram – 1 Table spoon
• Cumin seeds – ¼ table spoon
• Garlic – 6 Petals
• Red chilli – 4
• Hing /asafoetida – pinch (optional)
• Oil – as required
• Tamarind – small lemon size ( wash it and soak little amount of water)
Dall Spinach Preparation method :
1. Take soaked Toor dal along with water into a cooker. Soaked Dal will cook quickly.
2. Now add washed and chopped spinach, chopped onions, Green chilli slices, coriander leaves, curry leaves to dal.
3. Add a pinch of turmeric, 1 table spoon chilli powder and stir it will till all ingredients get mixed well.
Don’t add salt, if you add salt dal will not get cooked.
4. Now add required amount of water to cook dal and mix it well.
5. Place lid on cooker and put on stove, turn on the flame.
6. Cook it till you get 5 whistles.
You can also add tomato to dal but it is advice by doctor’s that tomato and spinach should not be taken at a time. If you want to add tomato add it by removing seeds.
7. Once you get 5 whistles turn off the stove and slightly raise the whistle so that the pressure get out. open the lid once the pressure get out.
8. Now take the extra water into a separate bowl. If you smash dal along with water it will not be properly smashed.
Don’t through this water you can use it in dal if you feel it is thick, you can also use this water to prepare Rasam.
9. Now add salt to dal as per your taste.
10. Smash Tamarind with the help of hand add its juice to dal without any waste.
11. With a dal smasher smash dal until the tamarind juice, salt get mixed well.
12. You will get a finely smashed dal and spinach. If you feel the dal is thick add little water to it ( water which you took aside after cooking dal)
13. Now place a pan on stove.
14. Once the pan is hot add 2 tables spoons oil, ¼ table spoon mustard seeds, ¼ table spoon cumin seeds, 1 table spoon Bengal gram, 1 table spoon urad dal, smashed garlic petals and fry them well.
15. Once they are fried for ½ minute add red chilli by making into two half’s.
16. Fry for another ½ minute and add curry leaves. Place a lid once you add curry leaves.
17. After ½ minute remove the lid and fry it well. Fry these spices on a low flame so they don’t get burnt.
18. Now add smashed dal into pan and mix it well, you can add water if you feel necessary. Let it cook for a minute by putting a lid on it.
Dal should not be too thick or loose, it should have medium consistency.
19. After a minute remove the lid and mix the dal well. Turn off the stove.
Tasty spinach dal is ready to eat, you can have it with rice or chapatti.
Take the dal into a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves or curry leaves.