How to Prepare Pesara pappu chekkalu
Pesarapappu chekkalu recipe is a crispy and deep fried snack that is very famous in Andhra. It is made from rice flour with the addition of moong dal. There are many variations to prepare chekkalu. These are lovely savory munchies make a great teatime, travel or entertaining snack.
• Rice flour – 1 cup
• Finely chopped Curry leaves
• Moong dal – 2 tablespoons(soak in water for 15 minutes)
• Sesame seeds – 2 tablespoons
• Salt as per taste
• Ginger – small size(peeled and chopped)
• Green chilies – 4
• Oil for deep fry
• Finely chopped coriander leaves
• Butter – 2tablespoons
In a blender, add ginger and green chilies and grind to a coarse paste, then keep it aside in a bowl.
In a large mixing bowl add rice flour (1 cup), salt as per taste and butter (2 tablespoons), mix it properly.
Now add sesame seeds (2 tablespoons), coarse paste of ginger and green chilies, finely chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves and soaked moong dal.
Mix all the ingredients until well combined.
Add water little by little to make smooth and non-sticky dough.
Divide the dough into small balls.
Heat a heavy bottomed vessel with enough oil for deep frying.
Take cleaned and washed cloth and rub it with water.
Take a dough ball and flatten it with fingers on the cloth.
Press and flatten the dough ball evenly with your hands till it becomes evenly thin on all sides.
The thinner the disc, the crispier chekkalu would be.
Heat oil in a pan for deep frying the chekkalu.
Slowly peel the shaped chekkalu off the cloth using spatula and slide into the hot oil.
Drop each flattens dough over heated oil and deep fry the chekkalu on medium flame.
Don’t crowd the vessel with too many chekkalu.
Deep fry them over medium flame till they become lite golden color.
Remove the fried chekkalu from oil using a drainer and place them on a vessel to drain excess oil or takeout the fried chekkalu into a paper napkin
Repeat the same process till the rest of the dough is done.
Transfer the fried chekkalu to a serving bowl.
Spicy, crispy and crunchy pesarapappu chekkalu are ready
This pesarapappu chekkalu can be used as evening snacks
1. Before frying chekkalu, ensure that oil is sufficiently hot.
2. Based on the size of the vessel and amount of oil, you can deep fry pesarapappu chekkalu.
3. Don’t crowd the vessel with too many chekkalu. Reduce the flame to medium and deep fry the chekkalu to lite golden color.
4. Remember the frying has to done on medium flame to achieve that golden color and crispiness.
5. Cool completely before storing in an air tight metallic container.
Sodium – 150g
Total carbs – 17g
Dietary fiber – 1g
Protein – 2g
Calcium – 2%
Iron – 2%