How to Make Senaga pappu chekkalu
Chekkalu is a tasty snack which can be prepared during festival seasons. The method of preparing chekkalu is very easy, if you follow few tips. Rice flour when added alone will be difficult to blind together. So addition of butter and Bengal gram is very important and gives a nice crunchy and crispy taste. There are many ways to prepare chekkalu. These are savory munchies make a great teatime, travel or entertaining snack.
• Rice flour – ¼ kg
• Bengal gram – 3tablespoons(wash and soak in water for 1 hour)
• Sago – 2tablespoons(soak in water for 10 minutes)
• Butter – 2 tablespoons
• Green chilies – 10
• Ginger – 3 small size pieces
• Salt as per required
• Oil for deep fry
• Finely chopped Curry leaves
• Finely chopped Coriander leaves
• Sesame seeds – 2 tablespoons
1. In a blender, add ginger and green chilies, grind to a coarse paste and keep it aside in a plate.
2. In a large mixing bowl add rice flour (¼ kg) and salt mix it well.
3. Now add sesame seeds (2 tablespoons), soaked Bengal gram and sago, finely chopped coriander leaves, coarse paste of green chilies and ginger, finely chopped curry leaves and finally add butter.
4. Mix all the ingredients until well combined.
5. Add water little by little to make smooth and non-sticky dough.
6. Divide the dough into small balls.
7. Heat a wide heavy bottomed vessel with enough oil for deep frying.
8. Take a plastic sheet and rub it with water.
9. Take a dough ball and flatten it with fingers on the plastic sheet.
10. Press and flatten the dough ball evenly with your hands till it becomes evenly thin on all sides.
11. The thinner the disc, the crispier chekkalu would be.
12. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying the chekkalu.
13. Based on the size of vessel and amount of oil, you can deep fry the chekkalu.
14. Don’t crowd the vessel with too many chekkalu.
15. Slowly peel the shaped chekkalu off the plastic sheet and slide into the hot oil.
16. Deep fry them over medium flame till they become lite golden.
17. Remove the fried chekkalu from oil using a drainer and place them on a vessel to drain excess oil.
18. Repeat the same process till the rest of the dough is done.
19. Transfer the fried chekkalu to a serving bowl.
Crispy and crunchy senagapappu chekkalu are ready.
This senagapappu chekkalu can be used as evening snacks
1. Before frying chekkalu, make sure that oil is sufficiently hot.
2. Ensure that there is enough space for the chekkalu to move around in oil while frying.
3. Cool completely before storing in an air tight metallic container.
Sodium – 44mg
Total carbs – 31g
Dietary fiber – 2g
Proteins – 5g
Calcium – 2%
Iron – 2%