How To Make Amla Pickle
(Spicy Amla pickle)
Amla pickle is a very famous Andhra pickle, which is a rich source of vitamins. It is very simple to prepare and can be stored for about a year. Amla has antibacterial, cardio- tonic, antiviral, and resistance building properties. Its properties help in preventing the infections.
• Amla – ¼ kg (wash and dry amla)
• Salt as per taste
• Red chili powder – ½ cup
• Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
• Tamarind – 50 g
• Peanut oil – 1 cup
• Mustard powder – 2 teaspoons
• Few Garlic pods – peeled
• Fenugreek powder – 1 teaspoon
• Switch on the stove and heat a pan.
• Now add a cup of peanut oil into the pan and heat it.
• In the meanwhile make a few incisions on each Amla and keep them aside in a plate.
• Now take a mixing bowl and add 50 g of tamarind and clean it with water.
• Soak the tamarind in water for some time and extract the pulp using a slotted spoon or plate.
• Now add little bit of water into the tamarind pulp and dilute it.
• When the oil is hot add the Amlas and fry them under low flame.
• Fry them until Amlas starts to change color.
• Now transfer the fried Amlas to a bowl and switch off the stove.
• Once again heat the pan and add the tamarind pulp.
• Stir it well and cook for some time in medium flame till the mixture thickens.
• Then switch off the stove and keep it aside in a bowl.
• In the fried Amlas, now add salt as per taste, half cup of red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, 2 teaspoons of mustard powder, a teaspoon of fenugreek powder, garlic pods and finally tamarind pulp.
• Mix all the ingredients well.
• Then add oil in which Amlas are fried and mix altogether.
• Marinate the pickle for 3 days and adjust the salt if required.
• Store the Amla pickle in a glass jar.
• If it looks dry, then add in more oil.
Tasty and spicy Amla pickle is ready
• Serve this pickle with hot rice and ghee.
• Serve this pickle with the side assortment of dosa or idly in the morning breakfast.
• The pickle lasts longer when refrigerated.
• Adding more oil increases the life of pickle.
• Use a dry spoon while taking the pickle out.
• Total fat – 0.5g
• Protein – 1g
• Total carbs – 10g
• Dietary fiber – 5g
• Vitamin A – 6%
• Thiamine – 3%
• Vitamin B6 – 4%
• Calcium – 25mg
• Iron – 0.9mg
• Potassium – 198mg
• Sodium – 1mg
• Magnesium – 10mg