How to Make Cabbage Coconut Curry
The combination of cabbage and grated coconut curry is a south INDIAN dish. This is a simple quick and easy recipe. Cabbage can be used in a variety of INDIAN food recipes like paratha curry, raita, chutney etc.., This cabbage curry recipe is a good addition to the menu since it is healthy, simple, tasty and delicious.
1. Cabbage – ¼ kg(shredded)
2. Coconut – small-¼
3. Onion – 1(chopped)
4. Coriander leaves
5. Curry leaves
6. Green chilies – 6
7. Salt as per taste
8. Ginger – small piece(peel and chopped)
9. Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
10. Ground nuts – 1 table spoon
11. Bengal gram – 1 tablespoon
12. Mustard seeds – ¼ teaspoon
13. Split black gram – 1 tablespoon
14. Red chilies – 3
15. Garlic cloves – 5
16. Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
17. Oil – 3 tablespoons
• Remove the outer leaves of cabbage and cut to quarters.
• Cut and discard the core.
• Grate the cabbage finely with a grater.
• Boil the shredded cabbage with sufficient water for some time.
• After boiling transfer the shredded cabbage to a bowl without water.
• Collect the water in a bowl and keep it in fridge as this can be used as vegetable stock.
• Take the coconut and cut it into small pieces.
• Grind the coconut pieces in a dry mixer to get grated coconut.
• Now grind ginger, green chilies, coriander leaves and curry leaves into a coarse paste.
• Heat a pan and add oil to it.
• When oil is hot add mustard seeds (¼ teaspoon), Bengal gram (1 tablespoon), ground nuts (1 tablespoon), split black gram (1 tablespoon) and garlic cloves (5).
• Fry them on low flame till the seeds splutter.
• Finally add red chilies and curry leaves, and cover the pan
• Now add chopped onions and sauté for a minute by covering the pan.
• Now add the water removed cabbage and mix.
• Add salt as per taste and also add turmeric powder (¼ teaspoon) and stir fry on medium flame by closing the pan for some time or until the water evaporates.
• Then add grated coconut and mix well. Use red chili powder and it is optional.
• Now add chili-ginger-curry leaves- coriander leaves coarse paste which gives a nice taste.
• Cook for a while.
• Lastly add coriander powder (1 tablespoon).
• Mix everything till the masala coats the cabbage and coconut paste well. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
• Garnish with coriander leaves.
• Transfer this curry to a serving bowl.
Tasty Cabbage Coconut Curry is ready.
Serve with hot steamed rice or roti.
a. Do not throw away the cabbage cooked water, we can make Rasam with this cabbage water or use it in any gravy dish. As this water contains vitamins.
b. While grinding the coconut in a mixer, make sure that the jar is dry. When the jar is dry you can get finely grated coconut.
Dietary fibers – 1g
Sugars – 3g
Protein – 4g