How To Make Onion Tomato Chutney
Onion tomato chutney is one of the famous chutneys in south India. It is a perfect side dish for idly or dosa and some other snack recipes. Onion tomato chutney is a delicious chutney recipe prepared with onion, tomato and red chilies.
• Onions – 2(big size and finely chopped)
• Tomatoes – 4 (big size and finely chopped)
• Red chillies – 1 cup
• Mustard seeds – ¼ teaspoon
• Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
• Bengal gram – 1 tablespoon
• Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
• Tamarind – small lemon size
• Garlic – 5
• Curry leaves – 2 bunches
• Coriander leaves – 2 bunches(finely chopped)
• Hing – 1 pinch
• Salt to taste
• Oil – ½ cup(50 ML)
• Switch on the stove and heat a pan.
• Add 2 tablespoons of oil and heat it.
• Then add red chilies into the pan and fry them for a minute.
• Then keep them aside in a plate and switch off the stove.
• Allow it to cool.
• Now switch on the stove and heat a pan, then add 2 tablespoons of oil.
• Heat the oil and then add chopped onions, and fry them.
• Cover and cook the onions for 3 minutes on low flame.
• Stir it once and then add chopped tomatoes and mix it well.
• Now add tamarind into the tomato onion mixture and mix it once.
• Now add salt as per taste and cover the pan.
• Allow it cook for 2 minutes and then stir it once again.
• Then cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame and switch off the stove.
• Allow it cool.
• Now take a blender and add fried red chillies and salt as per taste and grind it to a coarse powder.
• Then add fried tomatoes and onions pieces and grind it to a fine paste.
• No need to add water while grinding the onion tomato chutney.
• Then keep it aside in a bowl.
• Now switch on the stove and heat the same pan.
• Then add 2 tablespoons of oil into the pan and heat it.
• Then add ¼ teaspoon of mustard seeds, ¼ teaspoon of cumin seeds and crushed garlic cloves.
• Fry them once and add a tablespoon of Bengal gram and urad dal and fry them.
• Then add a pinch of hing and mix it once.
• Then add curry leaves into the tempering and cover the pan for a minute.
• Now add red chilies into the tempering and mix it.
• Now transfer the onion tomato chutney to the pan containing tempering and mix it.
• Then switch off the stove and transfer the chutney to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
• Serve this onion tomato chutney with idly, dosa or vada.
Servings: 1 tablespoon
• Total fat -2 g
• Sodium – 17.8 mg
• Total carbs – 8.1 g
• Sugars – 2.3 g
• Protein – 1.7 g