How to Make Prawns Dum Biryani Recipe
- Prawns – ½ kg
- Basmati Rice – 400 gms
- Star Anise – 2
- Marati bud – 6
- Cloves- 6
- Black pepper -1/4 tea spoon
- Cinnamon – 1 inch 3 pieces
- Black cardamom -2
- Green cardamom -6
- Mace – small flower
- Nutmeg –small piece
- Shajeera- 1 table spoon
- Bay leaves -2
- Salt – to taste
- Red chilli powder – 1 table spoon
- Turmeric – ¼ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1 table spoon
- Curd -250 ml
- Lemon- half
- Green chilli -4 (cut each into 4)
- Mint leaves – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 ½ table spoon
- Coriander leaves- 1cup (finely chopped)
- Onions – 2 (chopped into straight slices)
- Ghee – 1 table spoon
- Oil- 8 table spoon
- Saffron food colour – pinch
Prawns Dum Biryani Preparation Method:
1. Clean basmati rice twice with water and then soak in water for half an hour.
2. Take cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, Green Cardamom, mace, nutmeg, star anise, bay leaf in a mixer jar and grind the spices and take it into a bowl.
3. Pour some water in food colour and mix well.
4. Squeeze lemon juice without seeds.
5. Remove the waste on prawns and clean them with water.
6. Now take cleaned prawns in a bowl and add salt to taste, 1tbsp chilli powder, ¼ tbsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder and grinded biryani masala (step 2) , 1 ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste, 2 tbsp lemon juice (step 4), curd
Mix this well so that all ingredients get mixed with prawns and leave it for 15 minutes to marinate.
7. Place a pan on a stove and pour 2 tbsp oil once the pan is hot.
8. Once the oil gets heated put the sliced onions into the pan and fry on a high flame for 2minutes.
After 2 minutes reduce it to low flame and fry onions my mixing till it gets golden brown colour, keeps them aside.
9. Now place a bowl on the stove with one-litre water and turn on the flame, add salt to taste, shajeera , bay leave, green cardamom, cloves, black cardamom and 1 tbsp oil to water and mix well.
Oil in the water helps to cook rice properly.
Put a plate on bowl and boil water for 2 minutes. After two minutes add soaked basmati rice into bowl and mix well. Leave the rice to cook for 3 minutes and then mix well once again. Cook rice till 70%.
10. When rice is cooking meanwhile, place a pan on non stick pan (little big). Note: Don’t turn on flame.
Add prawns mixture, finely chopped coriander leaves, finely chopped mint leaves, green chillies, marati bud, shajeera, few fried onions (step 9) and 1 tbsp ghee, 1 tbspn oil one after another and mix well.
Spread this mixture in the pan as bottom layer evenly.
11. Now shift rice to the non stick pan with the help of a ladle without water and arrange on prawns layer evenly.
12. Now on this rice layer add coriander leaves, mint leaves and fried onions and remaining biryani masala, 1 tbsp oil and 3 tbspn saffron colour.
13. Place non stick pan on a stove and turn on the flame, place a lid on the pan. This lid should be tight.
If you feel the lid is not tight you can use wheat dough or all purpose flour dough to stick lid and edges of non stick pan to secure the lid tight.
14. Cook biryani in high flame for 2 minutes and then in medium flame for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes adjust it to low flame and cook it for 15 minutes.
15. Turn off the flame and wait for 5 minutes.
16. Mix the biryani from lower layer slowly so that the prawns layer get mixed with rice.