Andhra Style Gutti Vankaya Kura
Gutti vankaya curry is most popular Andhra dish. There are quite a number of variations while preparing gutti vankaya curry. The preparation of masala and stuffing the brinjals takes some time. Once you are done with the preparation and stuffing, then the remaining process is easy. Andhra style brinjal curry goes perfectly with white rice or chapattis etc.
• Brinjal – ¼ kg
• Onion- 1(finely chopped)
• Green chilies – 4(sliced)
• Red chili powder – 1 tablespoon
• Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
• Oil – 3 tablespoons
• Cumin powder – ¼ teaspoon
• Salt as per taste
• Ginger – Garlic paste – 1tablespoon
• Garam masala powder – 1 tablespoon
• A few Cashew nuts
• Poppy seeds – 2 tablespoons
• Finely chopped coriander leaves
• In a blender add poppy seeds and cashew nuts and grind to a fine powder and keep it aside in a bowl.
• In the same blender add chopped onions and sliced green chilies and grind to a coarse paste and keep it aside in a bowl.
• In a mixing bowl add coarse paste of onions and green chilies, fine powder of poppy seeds and cashew nuts, ¼ teaspoon of cumin powder, 1 tablespoon of Garam masala powder, 1 tablespoon of red chili powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of Ginger-Garlic paste and finally salt as per taste.
• Mix all the ingredients together.
• Now wash and slit the brinjals from the base, keep the stalks which we usually discard.
• Keep them immersed in salted water till you use.
• Later stuff each brinjal very well with the masala paste and keep aside.
• Repeat the same process for all the brinjals.
• Now heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add stuffed brinjals carefully and cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
• After 2 minutes, allow this to cook all the sides by carefully and gently turning it on all the sides.
• Ensure that the flame is low, else it will get burnt.
• Now add remaining masala paste to the cooked brinjals and cover the pan.
• Cook for 5 more minutes till it oozes out the oil on the sides.
• Finally add chopped coriander leaves and mix it once.
• Then cover the pan and switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with some coriander leaves.
Gutti vanakaya kura is ready to serve
It can be served with rice or can be had with rasam or perfect with rotis too
• Cashew nuts can be replaced with a tablespoon of peanuts.
• Ensure that it is always cooked under low flame to avoid getting burnt.
• Total fat – 15g
• Sodium – 1,600mg
• Potassium – 351mg
• Total carbs – 14g
• Dietary fiber – 5g
• Sugars – 3g
• Protein – 5g
• Vitamin A – 9%
• Vitamin C – 6%
• Calcium – 13%
• Iron – 19%